Our experts are here to help

Mr Glow Electrical


Latest News

5 Common Electrical Faults And What Causes Them

Electrical faults can occur at any time, and they can be dangerous if not detected on time.

In fact, electrical hazards are one of the main causes of house fires. On that note, electrical issues should never be taken on as a DIY project if you are not qualified for it. You can easily get an electric shock, which could be fatal.

The best thing for you to do as a homeowner would be to note the problems that are occurring with the system. Then, you can contact professionals who will take on the job and fix the issue.

Now, you might be wondering how to identify electrical faults nsw. We will discuss all the standard electrical faults and what causes them in this detailed guide.

Read on to know more.



In this section, we have broken down the common signs of underlying electrical problems. We have also spoken about what leads to these issues so that you can take adequate measures to protect your house and family.


1. Loose Connection 

While installing a breaker and a neutral connection inside the main panel, you need to be very careful. Both of these parts should be installed by professionals, and you will have to keep a check on them. We recommend getting maintenance done every year so that you don’t have any sudden issues.

Also, if you notice a loose connection, then immediately call for help as that could lead to the entire electrical system falling.


2. Cluttered Wiring 

When you look inside the electric wire box, you will find a lot of wires. Now, they need to be appropriately placed with gaps in between. On that note, there should be a 30 mm gap between the cables and the box frame. This space is required so that you do not accidentally punch in a nail and make a hole in any of the wires while working with the box.

Remember that a damaged wire can be dangerous, and you may get an electric shock if not handled carefully. Hence, be very careful while checking. Also, a damaged wire could lead to a short circuit, thus breaking down the system.


3. Excess Electrical Load On Wires 

If you are getting new wires attached, ensure that they can handle the electrical load. Also, the circuit breaker connected to it should be able to take the load as otherwise, it may trip. So, before attaching the wire, check the electrical load needed by the appliance in question. Then tell the electrician about it so that they plan accordingly.

Sometimes, some wires will handle a higher load but will deteriorate and break down over time. They might not last long, and the entire affair could become expensive to repair.

As an added tip, always remember to check the wattage before buying lights. If the wattage is too high, then that could cause an electrical fire. Also, lighting fixtures should always fall under the recommended zone. If you are not sure, you can always talk to a local electrician.

Moreover, avoid keeping any paper or cloth over the lights, as they may heat up and lead to a fire.


4. Circuit Load 

At times, the wires may be installed correctly, but you end up using them wrong. For example, if you are using an outlet extender and connecting multiple electronics to it, then a heavier load needs to flow through the wire. This can then cause the circuit breaker to trip.

Hence, while using power outlets, it is best not to plug heavy-duty gadgets into one extender. Keep a number of power outlets to divide the load, and the system should remain fine.


5. Worn Out And Old Wiring 

If your wiring system is over 20 years old, then it might not be equipped to handle the high load that modern appliances need. You might have computers, large televisions, washing machines, and air conditioners, which use up a lot of electricity. Old wiring may not be able to handle the load, and then they could catch fire.

So, it is best to get the entire wiring system checked and replaced after a decade if necessary. And since you might not be able to distinguish unsafe wires, we recommend taking the help of professional electricians. Such a wiring problem could even lead to damage to the appliance, which can become an expensive affair.

Now, you might be wondering if there are ways to detect such a problem. Look out for flickering lights or sudden power cuts without any reason. Also, if electric gadgets heat up frequently, then that could be a problem.

A burning smell coming from inside a device is a big indication that something is wrong. Also, shocks and sparks are red flags here. In such cases, switch off the entire electrical system from the main box. Then call for help; it is best not to touch any of the electrical devices in the house which are attached to power outlets.



If you notice a loose outlet, then be sure to get it repaired immediately. On that note, you should ask a qualified electrician to check the wiring, external panels, and wall power outlets every once in a while.

Also, we will recommend installing a high-quality smoke detector inside the house and keeping fire extinguishers at hand. The smoke detector can immediately alert you in case of a fire, and you can control it with the extinguisher.

Talk to a local electrician to understand how to use a fire extinguisher so that you are not doubtful during emergencies. Apart from controlling the damage caused, you might save lives.

With this, we have reached the end of this guide, and it is time to wrap up. Before we leave, we want to remind you not to tackle electric faults nsw on your own.

Take care and stay safe!