Mr Glow Electrical
Switchboard Upgrade Melbourne
The switchboard is the electrical hub of the home. It’s where all of your electrical appliances are controlled, and if your switchboard isn’t working properly, this can have serious consequences on the rest of your electrics. It’s important to keep your switchboard in good working condition, with regular maintenance, upgrades, and servicing as and when needed.
WHAT IS A SWITCHBOARD?
The switchboard is the hub through which all of your home’s mains power is directed. Your home’s switchboard receives power from the mains and then directs this power throughout your home. It is one of the most important parts of your home’s electrical wiring, which is why there are so many strict regulations surrounding how switchboards are installed.
The switchboard is made up of the switchboard enclosure, the main switchboard switch, and circuit breakers. From here, you can control your home’s electricity supply, shutting down electricity to key areas when maintenance work is taking place. The switchboard’s circuit breakers are also installed to protect your circuit and prevent potentially dangerous electrical accidents from taking place.
Checking your switchboard
DOES YOUR SWITCHBOARD NEED WORK?
It’s important to get your switchboard looked at on a regular basis, partially to ensure it’s in good working order and in some cases so that your switchboard can be upgraded to suit your home. Some reasons why your switchboard might need professional attention include:
- New switches need to be added for new appliances, or there is no room left on the switchboard for new switches to be added: in this case, you may need a switchboard upgrade.
- Your switches keep tripping. This could be a sign that you are running too many appliances for your switchboard, which will lead to short-circuiting.
- If your switchboard is old. Older switchboards may use fuses instead of Residual Circuit Breakers, which can help to prevent serious electric shocks. Older switchboards should be upgraded to contemporary switchboards as soon as possible.
- You can smell burning from the switchboard. This could be a sign of faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit and should be investigated by qualified electricians as soon as possible.
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO HAVE YOUR SWITCHBOARD INSPECTED?
Hiring professional electricians to take a look at your switchboard is the easiest way to find out whether your switchboard needs repairs, maintenance work, or upgrades. However, there are also a number of other important reasons to consider having your property’s switchboard inspected by qualified electricians.
- Fulfilling your duty of care. Whether you own your own home or you’re a landlord, you have a duty of care to ensure everyone in your property is safe; this means ensuring your switchboard and electrics are safe and running as they should.
- Preventing potential faults and problems. By maintaining your switchboard on a regular basis, you can prevent serious electrical faults from occurring further down the line, saving yourself higher repair fees.
- Compliance. If your switchboard doesn’t meet Australian standards of safety, you could actually be breaking the law.
If you’re unsure whether your switchboard needs work, you can call us any time on 0480 030 290 and our expert advisors will be happy to help you.
THE BENEFITS OF A SWITCHBOARD UPGRADE
Upgrading your switchboard can offer many benefits, not just in terms of your home’s electrical performance but for your own peace of mind and security. An upgraded switchboard will have everything needed to reliably keep up with the demands of powering your home. We will upgrade your switchboard to ensure plenty of growing room is included so that new switches and appliances can be added when needed, and of course all switchboards we install come with contemporary security features such as RCBs.
Upgraded switchboards are also more energy-efficient, which is not only good for the planet but can help you to save money in the long run. They may also reduce your insurance premiums and boost your home’s property value, which makes an investment in your property’s switchboard an investment with great returns.
Surge Protection Devices
Surge protection devices can be attached to your switchboard to prevent power surges, which can be caused by unexpected storms, from building up and blowing your property’s electrical circuits. Surge protection devices will simply trigger a power shut down if a surge of electricity is identified, protecting both you and your electrics from potential harm.
Get In Touch!
HOW WE CAN HELP
- Reliable and efficient
- Fully qualified and insured
- Friendly and helpful
We always work to the highest standards and strive to achieve client satisfaction in every job we do. At Mr Glow Electrical, we are experts in all things switchboards. We have years of experience working with clients across Melbourne to install, service, and upgrade switchboards. If your switchboard isn’t working as it should, or you think you could benefit from a switchboard upgrade, call us today to discuss our services and get yourself a free quote.